Sunday, March 15, 2009

SAVE OUR SOULS



If you've ever been to rural, southeastern Pennsylvania during the summer, you know that the sun is a scorcher, and the air is thick with humidity and clouds of pesky gnats; this summer was no different. There wasn't as much rain as usual so I needed to supplement the gardens daily with a sprinkle from the hose. It felt as though I was giving the thirsty plants just enough water to make it through another day; it felt careless the amount of time I had to devote to such things. That's how everything felt that summer - insufficient - like we were all surviving off crumbs. We were able to eat, sleep, laugh, and cry just enough to make it through another day.

*an excerpt from my cancer memoir entitled CAR DEALER'S DAUGHTER

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This speaks to me, so much.