Thursday, October 9, 2008

MAGNOLIA BLOOM AND BUD




I grew up with a magnolia tree outside my bedroom window. The window that framed this fragrant beauty had a southern exposure; my other window looked west - up the driveway. My two brothers shared a room on the northern side of the house - their two windows faced west. I've wondered what effect our different vistas may have had on our individual perceptions of morning, the seasons, and bedrooms. They'd wake in a cool, dark cave - no matter the time of year. For me, spring was a pink blush of perfume and hummingbirds. Summer, I'd wake to sunlight dancing to the tune of rustling leaves. Fall was a gilded glow of enchantment, and winter's branches were adorned in frosted lace and cardinals. I don't remember anyone choosing who got which room, but they definitely got ripped off.

I sculpted this life size magnolia branch from wire, plaster, paper, and paint.
  

2 comments:

Super Babe said...

We grow up as brothers and sisters, coming from the same parents, living in the same house, and end up so different ... not better ... not worse ... but different. Viva la difference!

Unknown said...

We end up different, yes, fieldgeneral. And some of us are worse: my brother still has cooties. ;)

Toni: brilliance all around, words and sculpture.