Monday, October 13, 2008

RED BECOMES YOU



"Red Becomes You" 23"x30"

One holiday visit home to Pennsylvania, I was chatting with my mother at the kitchen table. She asked how my painting was going. Our talk turned into me sharing my frustrations around wanting to do a series of figurative paintings, but not having access to a model. "I'll be your model!" Just like that, she offered to pose for a sitting. I ended up painting a series of portraits of her. She was six years into having Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma at the time. This piece hangs in my apartment -- up high -- watching over me. There's just a hint of a smile; maybe only I can see it because it's familiar to me. I miss you Mom and have thought of you so many times since then my memories are worn.

2 comments:

Super Babe said...

Frank Sinatra I Get A Kick Out Of You lyrics
Writer(s): Porter
Verse:
My story is much to sad to be told
But practically everything leaves me totally cold
The only exception I know is the case
When I'm out on a quiet spree, fighting vainly the old ennui
Then I suddenly turn and see
Your fabulous face
Chorus:
I get no kick from champagne
Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all
So tell me why should it be true
That I get a kick out of you
Some like the perfume from Spain
I'm sure that if I took even one sniff
It would bore me terrifically too
But I get a kick out of you
( Some like the bop-type refrain )
( I'm sure that if, I heard even one riff )
( It would bore me terrifically too )
( But I get a kick out of you )
( Some they may go for cocaine )
( I'm sure that if, I took even one sniff )
( It would bore me terrifically too )
( But I get a kick out of you )
I get a kick every time I see you standing there before me
I get a kick though it's clear to see, you obviously do not adore me
I get no kick in a plane
Flying too high with some gal in the sky
Is my idea of nothing to do
But I get a kick out of you


Frank Sinatra I Get A Kick Out Of You lyrics

Unknown said...

Beautiful.

I see that peak of a smile. I am imagining she took great delight in having such a talented daughter.

Lymphoma, I just found out in the last weeks--not due to any urgency, thank goodness--is "the cancer of being exposed to chemicals". A disproportionate number of golfers get it, among other populations, usually poorer ones. But the grass on golf courses is so heavily sprayed with pesticides, that those who often walk on them, including pets, are vulnerable.

So wipe those shoes after walking on one, before entering the house.

And thanks for this. And thanks to your mom, for so many reasons. But here for offering to be your model; here and there in perhaps many ways.