Saturday, November 29, 2008

MAINE TO MEXICO, MEXICO TO MAINE




A trip from Maine to Mexico is an epic journey - even with a GPS, map, and compass. The Monarch Butterfly manages to flutter these same mind-blowing 2,000 miles south on papery wings - armed only with instinct and propensity. These southbound butterflies never return to Maine; the Monarchs we see in June aren't directly from the wintering grounds of Mexico - these are their offspring. Their migration northward follows the emergence of the milkweed.

No one has taught them the how-tos of getting home, but amazingly enough - by the millions - they do. I wish more people could find the same awe and interest in such quiet and "ordinary" feats of nature as they do in their iPods, Xboxes, Blackberries, and Wii's. 

* I sculpted this "Maple and Monarchs" from styrofoam, papier mache', paper, and paint. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Both as an adolescent and a teenager, I had occasion to witness the milkweed caterpillar--which I loved to let walk on my fingers and over the curved expanse of the top of my hand, feed and fatten, then metamorph so magically, so magnificently, into the great monarch butterfly. I always wonder if they know what's in store for them, and, if they knew of the journey ahead, would any just want to stay inside the chrysalis.

I've seen them break open the finally clear and flimsy shell, pump out their wings, and take off into the air, for the first time. And they do find each other. They do. I guess one is lonesome until taking flight. Now where did I put that wing-pump?